A new start?Thanks to NYC, Becki, Georgia, Sadie, Amber, Peach, Derv, Treelo, Moomies, Rachemm, E, Meredith, Sassy, Amber, Sandra and Lisa (hope I didn't forget anyone!). Your support means so much to me, almost makes the struggle worthwhile. And in a strange way I don't regret what has happened, but that is a post for another day - first let me bring you up to date.
All is well. But I want to be sick, sick, sick! Apart from some exhaustion and nausea on Wed/Thurs last week (which I now put down to not sleeping properly cos of temping/testing anxiety), I feel fit as a fiddle.
We had an appt with another fertility clinic (the one in Rathgar) last Thurs, which had been made months ago, so we decided to keep it just in case (we don't get on with our current doc). Very, very good decision. All the staff were fantastic, and the doc was eager to offer support for this pregnancy; my previous doc was not. My new medical diet is:
Cyclogest 400 twice a day
Baby aspirin 75mg daily
10,000 HCG once a week
I learned a lot too that I hadn't known before. Progesterone is not given to pregnant women for hormone supplementation; it is a muscle relaxant for the uterus and prevents it contracting and therefore unnecessarily aborting an embryo. The twice a day dose prevents a dip in levels during the day. Frequent scanning is associated with lower m/c rates. MFI is associated with higher m/c rates. Our new doc estimated our risk of m/c at about 22%, going down to 2% after 12 weeks. Sounds ok to me.
He also recalculated my due date - I had based it on O day rather than LMP, but he said that it's always calculated from LMP regardless of how late or early you O, as the "getting ready for O" stage is considered part of pregnancy. I'm not entirely convinced, but I get to gain 4 days (new EDD 27 March) so I'll go with it. I asked for a HCG beta but he said they only do them if HPTs aren't getting progressively darker each day (mine are), as that can indicate ectopic, so they check the levels just in case.
He asked why we'd done IUI and we told him, low motility and morphology. He said that slight male factor is the only circumstance under which he would advise IUI, and then only 3 IUIs before moving on to IVF. In most cases the success rates are so low and most patients end up doing IVF anyway, so he advises going straight to IVF - saves time, money and tears. In other words, the complete opposite of our previous doc "sure you'll probably do it yourself anyway". He did say though that he'd actually learned something from our appt too - it was of benefit for him to see an IUI that had worked first time and to note the circumstances.
Haven't called my old clinic yet to tell them the good news. Reasoning is that if I lose this baby in the next week I'm just going to tell them that AF arrived and go for IUI as planned.
I have booked my obs and have first scan on 3 August. As I can no longer rely on the reassurance of HPTs (had first HCG shot last night), and have absolutely no pregnancy symptoms, I may well be holding my breath until then.