<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d17177972\x26blogName\x3dThe+Waiting+Game\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dLIGHT\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://2weekwait.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://2weekwait.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5855585264951686984', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <script type='text/javascript' src='http://track3.mybloglog.com/js/jsserv.php?mblID=2006122920164598'></script>

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A new start?

Thanks to NYC, Becki, Georgia, Sadie, Amber, Peach, Derv, Treelo, Moomies, Rachemm, E, Meredith, Sassy, Amber, Sandra and Lisa (hope I didn't forget anyone!). Your support means so much to me, almost makes the struggle worthwhile. And in a strange way I don't regret what has happened, but that is a post for another day - first let me bring you up to date.

All is well. But I want to be sick, sick, sick! Apart from some exhaustion and nausea on Wed/Thurs last week (which I now put down to not sleeping properly cos of temping/testing anxiety), I feel fit as a fiddle.

We had an appt with another fertility clinic (the one in Rathgar) last Thurs, which had been made months ago, so we decided to keep it just in case (we don't get on with our current doc). Very, very good decision. All the staff were fantastic, and the doc was eager to offer support for this pregnancy; my previous doc was not. My new medical diet is:

Cyclogest 400 twice a day
Baby aspirin 75mg daily
10,000 HCG once a week
Fortnightly scans

I learned a lot too that I hadn't known before. Progesterone is not given to pregnant women for hormone supplementation; it is a muscle relaxant for the uterus and prevents it contracting and therefore unnecessarily aborting an embryo. The twice a day dose prevents a dip in levels during the day. Frequent scanning is associated with lower m/c rates. MFI is associated with higher m/c rates. Our new doc estimated our risk of m/c at about 22%, going down to 2% after 12 weeks. Sounds ok to me.

He also recalculated my due date - I had based it on O day rather than LMP, but he said that it's always calculated from LMP regardless of how late or early you O, as the "getting ready for O" stage is considered part of pregnancy. I'm not entirely convinced, but I get to gain 4 days (new EDD 27 March) so I'll go with it. I asked for a HCG beta but he said they only do them if HPTs aren't getting progressively darker each day (mine are), as that can indicate ectopic, so they check the levels just in case.

He asked why we'd done IUI and we told him, low motility and morphology. He said that slight male factor is the only circumstance under which he would advise IUI, and then only 3 IUIs before moving on to IVF. In most cases the success rates are so low and most patients end up doing IVF anyway, so he advises going straight to IVF - saves time, money and tears. In other words, the complete opposite of our previous doc "sure you'll probably do it yourself anyway". He did say though that he'd actually learned something from our appt too - it was of benefit for him to see an IUI that had worked first time and to note the circumstances.

Haven't called my old clinic yet to tell them the good news. Reasoning is that if I lose this baby in the next week I'm just going to tell them that AF arrived and go for IUI as planned.

I have booked my obs and have first scan on 3 August. As I can no longer rely on the reassurance of HPTs (had first HCG shot last night), and have absolutely no pregnancy symptoms, I may well be holding my breath until then.

14 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous lisau said...

Hey Feebee,
Holding my breath too! Just want to say that after my first pregnancy I NEVER had the sore breast thing..some don't after the first time. Also..no nausea...nothing but sleepiness. You might get big fast but that didn't happen for me until #3.I wasn't in maternity til around 5 months with #2.(#5 is a totally different story but in my case the huge tummy is reassuring).My due date is March 21st so we are a week apart and how fun is that?
A woman in the 40's group at Mothering.com is having her 5th or 6th at 47..so I am encouraged by that. I am still worried of course but hopeful and actually enjoying this as I go.

It sounds like you will have all the support you need,Dr-wise.Interesting about the progesterone info..I have always done the cream post O & through early pregnancy.

Has it sunk in yet? I am still reminding myself everyday.I am not telling anyone until I see a heart beat. I think after that my tummy would let the secret out if I didn't! The nice thing is you don't get bigger all in all, you just get bigger,faster.

Wishing both of us the full 9 month miracle..,
Giddily yours,
Lisa

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Sassy said...

I'm holding my breath with you. I really hope this goes well for you.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27 March - just after Alex's birthday (24th) :)
Hope you & Lisa get to share the whole 9 yards/months.
Will be holding my breath for your scan too - I remember at my 9 week one just bawling with relief to see such a beautiful sign of life.
Derv

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Amber said...

Hang in there chick, thank God for modern medicine and scans and a helping hand for mother nature.
Enjoy it as much as you can.
I had no symptoms on my second pg, after having the sore boobs from hell fist time around and constant morning sickness, so it took 7 tests to convince me i was pg.
I di however wake up one morning at 3 months with a huge baby belly.......
Oh so excited for you.......can't wait now to join you.......

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Becki said...

I didn't have any symptoms either till about 5 weeks and I remember that, "am I really pregnant?" feeling 24/7. I'm crossing my fingers for you and praying that August 3 comes fast!

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feebee darling

This site needs to be renamed now... As fo pg symptoms I had none at all with my first and worse still I had a light period (some women apparently do) and since I wasnt temping by the time I found out I was pg (which was when I missed my next period) I was already 11 weeks pregnant. So dont worry about the symptoms. As for me I am at 14 dpo now (as per FF)but not too sure if FF has my O date right. so even though temps haevnt dipped yet (my luteal phase is normally 13 days) will wait till the weekend to test.

NYC

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feebee,
I had to trawl through a few message boards to finally find your wonderful news, congratulations!!!!!!!

I have everything crossed that this is a little keeper. Those early scans are a lifesaver in the first few weeks as they keep you going, roll on August 3rd, sure its only next week.

Enjoy this well deserved time, focus on the positive and try not to think of what could happen which is hard to do I know. Every pregnancy is different so symptoms each time can vary widely so try not to read too much into these signals.

I am just so thrilled for you girl, your new doc sounds like a good one too. I can't say I have much knowledge of what you have been through to get to this point but from your account you are in good hands now.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Meredtih said...

Glad to hear all is well, and you have a great doctor!!!

Keeping my hopes high for you!!! :)

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Feebee said...

Thanks everyone!

NYC - any news?

Lisa - so glad to hear all is still well. Can't believe we get to do this together! It has sunk in to a certain extent, I know I'm pregnant, but I haven't even begun to think about having a baby yet. I don't think that will happen until I see a heartbeat, possibly not until I see the baby!

Still have absolutely no symptoms though, so anxiously awaiting some nausea or tiredness.

 
At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping that you will update today. Just wondering how you are doing. No news yet from me. Am 15 dpo today as per FF but I suspect that’s wrong and I am really about 11 dpo. I have only bought internet cheapie hpts so will wait till Sunday to test if I last that long. Yesterday I had cramps and daytime temps were really low but today temps are up again so cant see what to make of it. No symptoms at all other than slightly tender bbs (or maybe I am imagining that too)! I don’t have any of my usual AF symptoms – which I usually get 2-3 days earlier. I hate this agony – wish AF would show soon if she has to. Sorry for the long post.

NYC

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous lisau said...

Hey NYC,
Not to barge in here but crossing my fingers for you.The end of a cycle stinks! I always have hate not knowing,it's the worst.Good luck to you,
Lisa

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feebee
Any best wishes are most welcome so thanks so much. Today temps up to 98.8 and BBs really tender and hurting (not a usual AF symptom for me)accompanies by nausea this morning. really hoping now but dont know how reliable temps are since DD was ill with a stomach bug and I was up most of the night with her. How are you doing?

NYC

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry meant to addres that last post to you lisau. do let us know how you are doing....

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Feebee said...

Sounds good NYC - you have a lot more symptoms than I do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home